Monday, April 19, 2010

Feeling Vintage...

If you've been reading this blog for a long time you probably should know that I'm a huge fan o vintage clothing and accessories. There's something about vintage clothes, this feeling that they have a history. They're not just soulless fabrics that came right away from the factory. I lovee vintage shops, especially the ones you can find treasures into. The thing about vintage wear is that you should look very carefully and search for something with a real value.
For example, the other day, I went to a couple of vintage stores downtown in Athens.
I went to "Bohbo" (Asklipiou street, 24 Athens) and I was surprised to see that it was such a small store. From the pictures I'd seen on the web, I had the impression that it had a bigger variety. Anyway, it was a cute little shop filled with brands and designer names at lower prices. Now, we have to clarify the term "lower prices". When the original price of a e.g. Jimmy Choo bag, is 800 euros, then it's impossible that the '"lowered" price will be like, 50 euros. The price of the vintage item depends on its condition, the original price, its age etc. Therefore, if you are to spend for example, 500 euros (which was the price of the Jimmy Choo bag at Bohbo) why would you spend it on a old item? Why wouldn't you spend it on something newer, more stylish and more "in". Overall, this store was a little overpriced for what it was offering considering you can buy with the same money new things from expensive designer names. So, I left empty-handed.
The other vintage shop I went to, called "Preloved", on the same street, was much much cheaper. Maybe if I had looked deeper and if I had spent more time there I would have found something worthy. Although it was a lot bigger that the previous one, with a much larger variety than Bohbo, the quality was lacking. Some pieces were really old, and not even what you'd call stylish old, nothing like 20s, 50s, 60s even 80s. I don't even think anyone would ever consider buying the shoes there, they were soo old-looking, to the point of tacky. I couple of dresses were good, but I didn't try on any. No designer names there, apart from some Longchamp bags and a Dolce t-shirt, but that really didn't matter. Truth is, perhaps you can find something interesting but you will have to devote lots of time in order to do so.
So this weekend, while in the mood of vintage, I went to my grandma's and tried on some goodies. It's fun to experiment with old clothes, they feel really nice:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
XOXO
ATHENA :)

4 comments:

  1. What a perfect post ????I love love love your photos, so stylish ;)
    And I agree with whatever you said. For one more time.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wraio post....to mauro forema einai poly wraio panw sou...de mporousa pantws na min proseksw to fovero vintage kathrefti!!!

    xxtravaganza.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to read and comment on this post. I love listening to your feedback. Take care. XOXO